Sunday, July 8, 2012
When Frankenpatterning goes wrong ...
I started this with good intentions, inspired by this dress from an old Burda from 10-2003.
I traced the pattern with intention of cutting the front and back as one, but what I hadn't anticipated was that the seams are curved to create shape and so don't sit together flat. I didn't want this pieced look with my fabric, a luscious stretch velvet from Gorgeous Fabrics that has been in my stash for a couple of years. I decided to Franken Pattern using three patterns from my stash, two of which are previously unused. I used the bodice from View D of M5975 with neckline and collar from a very old Kwik Sew 2900 polo neck t shirt pattern I bought at the op shop in Mullumbimby. The pattern is dated 2000 and appears to be OOP. I then added on the skirt from V8663 . As it stands, this is a wadder. I got it all wrong.
I think I need to take the skirt off and recut it into something slimmer. I may also change the neckline. For the moment, it's sitting on Vera in case inspiration strikes. I'm feeling frustrated after spending much of my weekend tracing, cutting and sewing with nothing to show.
As for the original inspiration pattern, I plan to make one as drafted and I have fabric standing by ready for cutting. Hopefully, that will work!